Friday, July 11, 2008

The Gift

Hafiz, a 13th century Sufi Muslim, captures my heart with his poetry. I firmly believe that anyone who reads him with an open mind, their heart will soon join mine in beautiful captivity.

I present to you several of my captors.


How Do I Listen?

How
Do I
Listen to Others?
As if everyone were my Master
Speaking to me
His
Cherished
Last
Words.


Integrity

Few
Have the strength
To be a real
Hero -
That rare
Man or woman
Who always keeps
Their
Word.
Even an angel needs rest.
Integrity creates a body so vast
A thousand winged ones will
Plead,
"May I lay my cheek
Against
You?"


Dropping Keys

The small man
Builds cages for everyone
He
Knows.
While the sage,
Who has to duck his head
When the moon is low,
Keeps dropping keys all night long
For the
Beautiful
Rowdy
Prisoners.


Chain You To My Body

All
These words
Are just a front.
What I would really like to do is
Chain you to my body,
Then sing for days
And days and
Days
About
God.

Two Giant Fat People

God
And I have become
Like two giant fat people
Living in a
Tiny boat.
We
Keep
Bumping into each other and
L
a
u
g
h
i
n
g
.

No comments:


To write is to dare the soul. So write.