Monday, September 14, 2009

A Superfluous Apology

On the way back from Daytona Rathayatra on the bus, I got into a lively conversation with Jagadish, whom I have known for several years, and Giri, a young second-generation devotee I had never spoken with before. Our fascinating conversation turned towards guru, and I began to effuse about my own spiritual teacher. I became so animated, and the two men became rather quiet, just listening intently.

At one point, I felt a flush of embarrassment. "Sorry, I'm talking so much. I just feel so strongly about taking shelter of a spiritual master, and I really love my own guru."

After a pause, Giri said soberly, "Never apologize for your enthusiasm."

I fell silent.

Giri continued. "Enthusiasm is a major principle of spiritual life! Never apologize for your enthusiasm."

I said softly. "Thank you. I needed to hear that."

1 comment:

ramesh sadasivam said...

"Enthusiasm is a major principle of spiritual life!

-Lesson learnt!


To write is to dare the soul. So write.