Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Coolest Layover, Ever

Just a section of the mural I helped to restore.



Seven hours in-between flights? Usually nightmarish for me because I get incredibly antsy, I contrived a plan to get out of the airport.

So when my plane pulled into LAX, I dashed to baggage claim, and within minutes Dakshina and Kuva drove right up. With a giant hug and grin, I stashed my stuff in the Jeep and headed out into crazy LA traffic.

Aaaaah... can you feel that? Huh? Huh? It's freedom!

We wound our way to Venice. Driving over the canal bridges, I swallowed the fresh, cool air that blew off the water.

We parked at the mural we'd be restoring, and then Dakshina and I headed off to take lunch. We settled under a tree and conversed softly, reveling in our avocado sandwiches.

After lunch, we headed back to the mural, and for three hours I dove in to restoring it. I unearthed the history, learned about art restoration, and even worked with the original artist from 1975.

When finished, we dashed back to the airport in time for my next flight out. Now get this, can you drive a standard, talk on a cell phone, and then drink water (brahmin-style!) all at the same time... in LA traffic? Well, Kuva could. Ducky and I laughed hysterically.

I bid goodbye to Dakshina and Kuva, my fantastic hosts. I took a deep breath before plunging back into those airport doors. I smiled.

What an insane way to begin my summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use a photograph of yours in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt
matt@wefeelfine.org


To write is to dare the soul. So write.