Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Finish It

About two years ago, I so happened to be staying the night in a house across the street from Satsvarupa Maharaj. I had never met this swami before. All I really knew about him was that he was one of the very first people to join the Hare Krishna movement in 1966. Also, he - along with a team - was the writer of the voluminous biography of Srila Prabhupad, The Lilamrita.




He being a writer and a saint, I relayed my request to meet with Satsvarupa Maharaj and I was given permission to come. So early afternoon, I entered the old house and walked up the creaking stairs. The sun slanted in through the window and illuminated a man who was seated in an armchair wearing orange clothes. I bowed to him, offering my respects. He peered at me through his glasses. I remember how the sideways light seemed to make his brown eyes glow.

A little ways in to the meeting, I said, "Maharaj, I want to write a novel for Krishna, but I have such hard time in completing a project. Would you be willing to share with me some words of wisdom for writing?"

Immediately Satsvarupa Maharaj declared, "Lower your standards and finish it."

No comments:


To write is to dare the soul. So write.