Tuesday, August 21, 2012

On the Precipice


About four years ago, I ventured into an ancient, mystical village in India called Varsana. Palaces, temples, and shrines adorn the hills like so many jewels. In one particular temple, I found a stick of incense on the floor.

I tucked the incense into my journal, waiting for the special moment to let it burn. 

In my current upheaval of moving out, I came upon that stick of incense. And so just now, 2:13am on August 21st, I placed a flame to the incense and I am now watching it burn. Scrolls of smoke dance into the air. I am mesmerized and quiet. The unique fragrance brings me to faraway lands and faraway memories.  

Four years later, in four hours I shall embark once again upon a journey into the world. 

My life as I've known it has been packed away into boxes and carried away into storage. I am equipped with only a suitcase and backpack; these two bags shall contain the elements of my life until next April. 

I'm still in disbelief. 

I feel as though I'm standing on the edge of a precipice, like one of the mountains I stood upon in Varsana that overlooks a vast landscape of villages that stretch into the horizon. The breezes from up here twine around my body, the echoes of the mountains call me to jump, jump. 

Jump. Krishna is your parachute.  

Service, adventure, the holy name, and love is calling.  


3 comments:

Vinod said...

Wishing you all the best in your endeavour , I too am going through my own upheaval only i dont where these surging waters are going to take me .

Dharma Chutney said...

Good luck on your adventure to the holy land. Look forward to reading about it.
Krishna Priya

Marie Glasheen- Satvatove Institute said...

Thank you Bhakti Lata for spreading you light around. I wish you a beautiful adventure of conscious living through your traveling, chanting and serving.


To write is to dare the soul. So write.