Sunday, April 5, 2015

Clicking In

Ghanashyam's mother lives in a small town in New Jersey, and we decided to visit her for a couple days. This morning we took a stroll. Every so often we would pause to gaze in wonder at a dried leaf that shone golden in the sun, or the bright purple, blue, and yellow flowers that were just peeking out of the grass.

We cradled these leaves and flowers in our hands to bring home. We descended to Ghanashyam's old room in the basement and he placed our treasures in a little bowl. We dusted off two Krishna books and found a picture of Prabhupad and Radha Krishna on the covers. We leaned the books against the wall and placed the bowl of flowers in front of the pictures.

I picked up a tiny metal teapot and took off the lid. I began to play the lid against the bottom of the teapot in rhythm, "1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3..."

In unison, we sang the Hare Krishna maha-mantra, the holy name. We began to sway, and then dance in sync. In the middle of our little kirtan, Ghanashyam would remember other great teachers and find books that had their pictures on the cover. He placed these books upon the makeshift altar and our lineage kept growing.

I meditated upon each beautiful, powerful face. I sang the holy name and suddenly I felt my soul click into place. This is the essence of my life: to offer something simple to the Lord, to sing the holy name with others, and follow in the footsteps of the great souls.

Ghanashyam raised his palms and his arms as he danced, and I continued to cling-cling-cling my tiny teapot. Every so often we'd glance at each other and smile broadly. When our little kirtan concluded, we embraced each other in gratitude.

I tried to put the lid back on the tiny teapot but it seemed a bit bent out of a shape. By my soul clicking into place it seems as though the teapot had clicked out ;)


1 comment:

Anusha Nair said...

Haribol! Realising the essence of life!!


To write is to dare the soul. So write.